Mercury Contamination Facts
Mercury is a heavy metal that occurs in liquid form at room temperature. Aristotle, a Greek scholar, named it quicksilver over 2000 years ago, because at room temperature it is a silver-colored liquid. Early physicians used it for medicinal purposes to treat diseases such as syphilis, and problems affecting the intestines, as well as other conditions.
Mercury poisoning was written about as early as the 15th century. Until the mid 1800s, poisoning resulted mostly from inhaling mercury vapors. In the 1840s, other man-made chemicals were known to cause poisoning.
Some workers were especially vulnerable to this poison, or toxin. Mercury was used by mirror makers. Chemists who came into contact with it in their labs were affected. Hatters, workers who were involved in the production of felt hats in the mid-19th century, were exposed to mercury nitrate. It was used to treat fur skins, such as beaver and rabbit, to make felt hats, thus perhaps the saying, "mad as a hatter". The children’s book, Alice in Wonderland, is said by some to refer to these victims of mercury poisoning.
Eligibility to Apply for Benefits
For a person to be eligible to apply for benefits (per legislation), that person must be a current member of Grassy Narrows First Nation or Wabaseemoong Independent Nations; a past member of one of the two bands; or a registered Indian who was customarily resident on one the two first nation communities prior to the first day of October 1985
that since inception to March 31, 2016 the Mercury Disability Board has processed 1064 initial applications for benefits.
Copyright © 2006 - 2017 Mercury Disability Board. All Rights Reserved
Design & Development: ODL